Hunter region brewers successful at beer awards
Shawn and Karen Sherlock - Foghorn Brewhouse
Breweries from all corners of the country and around the world are celebrating after the results of the 2017 Australian International Beer Awards (AIBA) were announced on 18 May in Melbourne.
The largest annual beer competition in the world judging both draught and packaged beer, the AIBA celebrated 25 years of recognising the world’s best beers this year, attracting record participation with over 1890 entries across the beer categories.
Close to another 200 entries were also received in the design and media categories.
Five of the Hunter regions boutique breweries were featured in these awards. These were FogHorn Brewhouse, Murray’s Craft Brewing Co, Hunter Beer Co., Grainfed Brewery and Lovedale Brewery.
The Foghorn Brewhouse awards included:
• Best Stout: Major trophies - Sligo Extra Stout, Draught
• American Style (Best IPA): Gold Medal -Young Americans IPA, Draught
• Other Stout (Best Stout): Gold Medal - Sligo Extra Stout, Draught
• Dark Strong (Best Belgian / French Style Ale): Bronze Medal -Monk Magic, Draught
• Saison (Best Belgian / French Style Ale): Bronze Medal - 4 Saisons In One Day, Draught
Murray’s Craft Brewing Co won awards for:
• English Summer (Best British-Style Ale): Gold Medal - Moon Boy Golden Ale, Draught
• American Strong Style (Best International-Style Pale Ale): Silver Medal - Fred IPA, Draught
• American Style (Best International-Style Pale Ale): Bronze Medal - AngryMan Pale Ale
Hunter Beer Co. came home with:
• German Style Bock (Best Amber / Dark Lager): Silver Medal - Hunter Bock, Draught
• Regular / Brown Porter (Best Porter): Bronze Medal - Hunter Porter, Draught
• Imperial Stout (Best Stout): Bronze Medal - Big Stout (2017), Packaged
• Herb & Spice (Best Specialty Beer): Bronze Medal - Slaked Magpie, Draught
Gainfed Brewing Company was awarded for:
• American Style (Best International-Style Pale Ale): Silver Medal - Grainfed East Coast Pale, Draught
• Other Specialty Beer (Best Specialty Beer): Bronze Medal - Grainfed Quiet One, Draught
Lovedale Brewery/Sydney Brewery had success taking out:
• Munich Style Helles (Best European-Style Lager): Silver Medal - Lovedale Lager, Draught
• Other Specialty Beer (Best Specialty Beer): Silver Medal - Pyrmont Rye IPA, Draught
• Other International Style Lager (Best International Lager): Bronze medal - Glamarama Summer Ale, Draught
• German Style Schwarzbier (Best Amber / Dark Lager): Bronze Medal - Darlo Dark, Draught
• Bohemian Style Pilsner (Best Pilsner): Silver medal - Surry Hills Pils, Draught